Benefits of Using an Ergonomic Keyboard
Ergonomic keyboards were invented way back in the 90s, yet, still, so many people don’t know what they are or what their benefits are!
What is an ergonomic keyboard?
An ergonomic keyboard is designed to promote productivity and reduce fatigue when working.
The keyboards are very similar to traditional keyboards, but the shape, size, and design always differ slightly. They are different because these keyboards help correctly position your hands when typing, saving from straining your wrists.
Here are the three types of ergonomic keyboards:
- Contoured keyboard – These are shaped like domes or waves and help position the arms natural when typing.
- Split keyboard – These keyboards come in segments where the board is split in the middle. Sometimes the number pad also comes separately. This type of keyboard helps with comfort and proper hand spacing when typing.
- Angled keyboard – Angled keyboards are slightly inclined to promote correct wrist and hand placement when typing.
- Comfort and wrist support – Ergonomic keyboards are designed to provide more space for your wrist and forearm to sit in the middle of the keyboard whilst you type. This eliminates any strain and discomfort.
- Reduces the risk of carpal tunnel syndrome – An ergonomic keyboard is designed to follow the natural positioning of the wrist and forearm. The keyboards are narrower which reduces the strains when reaching for the mouse and using it. This helps mitigate the risk of carpal tunnel syndrome which is a result of pinching a nerve in your wrist.
- Supports a healthy posture – By placing your wrists properly on the keyboard, you encourage proper shoulder alignment, which ultimately makes the positioning of the whole body correct.
- Good for increasing typing speed – Because an ergonomic keyboard is more comfortable to use, this means you feel more relaxed, this will possibly increase typing speed.
Here’s a list of the ergonomic keyboards VergoUK provide:
- Black Mini USB Keyboard
- Goldtouch Ergonomic Keyboard
- Goldtouch Go Keyboard
- Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard
- Number pad
Ergonomic keyboards are often one of the products we recommend following one of our DSE Workstation Assessments.
A DSE assessment will identify any issues with your current workstation setup and provide recommendations on how to improve it, be it changes in layout, seating position, or equipment such as desks and chairs.
Our trained DSE Assessors are experts in workplace ergonomics and will take the time to assess your workstation and guide you through their recommendations.
Contact us here to book your DSE assessment today.